Thursday 30 April 2009

A weekend Exploring






A few weekends ago, some friends and I set out to explore the southwest coast of Jeju. There are so many beautiful places that I have yet to see, and since my time left on the island is running short, I am trying to get to as many of them as I can.

On Saturday we explored a beach called Hwasun. It is a black sand beach. At this time of the year it is dead because to Koreans, even if it is hot and sunny outside, that does not mean that you go to the beach. You must wait until it is official beach season. That is great news for the rest of us because we can spend the time really exploring the beach.

We found many little coves off of the main beach. Some were very small and had little to no sand and others were decent in size. All of them were a little harder to get to as they were off of the beaten path. But the short hikes and small amount of rock climbing was well worth it!

On Sunday we decided to go to the Sangban-san Mountain area. While we did not climb the mountain or go up it at all, we enjoyed all the things we found in the surrounding area.

First we spotted a huge Viking ship carnival ride. Why would such a ride be in this beautiful place with no other rides around it? Well my answer to that is "Only in Korea". After the carnival ride I ran into a small black goat. He was tied to a tree and had a green bandana tied around his neck. He was very cute and friendly.

Second came another huge ship. This one was meant to be a Dutch ship. I have no idea why it was there. You could climb inside of it and what not but it served absolutely no purpose. Again "Only in Korea". There was a statue sitting on a park bench that was the Dutch captain of the ship. And another small wooden boat in the grass opposite the large ship that had flower painted all over it and said "Netherlands" on the side.

After that area we decided to head to the are called Songakson. It is another small mountain in the area. We were able to drive to the lookout point and do some exploring. There was a small cave that we spotted along with a rough looking staircase that could lead you down. Of course when we got to the top of the staircase we saw the "enter at your own risk" type of sign in Korean and simply stepped right over it. The stairs lead us most of the way don, but in order to get to the cave we needed to climb the rest of the way. I was no expecting all this climbing so it took me a bit not t slip in my shoes. But I made it safely down and was able to get some great photos looking out from insdie the cave. Once finished, we needed to climb back up! Again had to take our time!

It was a great day! We ended it with going to Oedolgae which I think I have posted about before. It is an amazing rock place on the ocean where my friends and I spend lots of time relaxing, swimming, snorkeling and cliff diving.

No comments: